June, 2007

It is absolutely clear out here that NATURE RULES. I am sitting in the cockpit of Grace, my dog curled up in a small black ball next to me in a place called “Big Bay”. The place is tiny – or even smaller.

The guidebook lists it as having a population of 19. So far we have seen one human and two dogs. The mail comes in by little single engine bush plane. Samba had a wonderful romp and hike through the deep dark forest with the two local dogs. She was thrilled. We understand there are supposed to be cougars and bears here, but so far I have no

t been lucky enough to see any. Deer don’t count.
Yesterday was not a good day at all. While I was at the helm, I found a submerged rock with the bottom of the boat. Grace’s keel bounced off twice before finding a safe depth. I was not happy with myself, even though it was all but impossible to know it was there. Definitely, that rock was a reminder that we are of minor importance out there. Beaten by a rock. Not a good day.Today, on the other hand, has been spectacular. I woke up in the middle of the night – probably because I felt so unsettled at having hit the rock, and looked out. The stars were out amidst wispy clouds. And it was so unbelievably quiet. I woke up at 4am and we set off at my very most favorite time of day. I cursed the rock (“#$%&!!!) as we sailed past where its location probably was. It was still submerged – waiting for the next unsuspecting passer by. There are lots of eddies and tide rips here. You have to time your passage between these tiny islands very carefully or you can get caught in tidal flows of up to 9 knots against you.

Early morning, watching the sun try to rise over the mountains. Clouds obscuring its ascent. Divine. We have never seen so many eagles in one morning as today. We saw 16 in a two and half hour trip. They are huge. The white of their heads and tails stand out clearly against the conifers. Many were in pairs; funny, they seem to like

to sit one a branch or two above the other. (“Who’s on top today, dear?”). Then, just before arriving at Dent Island, there was a hillside with 32 separate eagles on it. They seemed to be watching the riptides to see what might look appetizing. Did you know that Eagles mate for life?
Geoff tells me that Ocean Passages are much easier than Coastal Navigation. Lets hope he is right.